asked me to list a few examples of contemporary questions that involve
justice. I asked my roommates, and here are some of the questions they came up
- Is the death penalty unjust?
- Is affirmative action at universities unjust to white
- Is the progressive income tax unjust?
- Is racial discrimination in employment unjust?
- Is a very unequal income distribution unjust?
- Is it unjust that some people cannot afford to buy
- Is a society unjust if it allows great poverty?
- Is there such a thing as a just war? (Was the Second
World War unjust? Was the 2003 invasion of Iraq unjust?)
I think that all of these would fit into the categories that Professor Sidgwick listed. I was wondering whether they all had something in common, but I don't know.